In the Community
Together, We are Stronger
June 06, 2022
Women’s Foundation of Montana donors, grantees, and partners have been reaching out to me over the past few weeks to express their fear and anger about the May 2nd leaked U.S. Supreme Court draft decision that would overturn Roe v. Wade.
Those reaching out to me have bravely shared their personal experiences with abortion. I’ve witnessed lifelong friends have their first conversation about their support for women’s holistic medical care, including abortion. Young women have articulated their anger about a future where their mental health, their physical health, and ultimately their lives are not prioritized.
It has been humbling and emotional. It has made clear the important, urgent work ahead of us.
Sexual and reproductive health and rights, including the right to access medical care that includes abortion, are foundational to women’s well-being, equality, and empowerment. Research clearly links full access to reproductive health resources to economic security. Key to the Women’s Foundation of Montana’s mission of advancing economic independence for women in Montana is ensuring our right to make decisions about our own health care, including when to become a parent.
We must support organizations working to preserve abortion access as an essential component of women’s health care. The Women’s Foundation of Montana affirms our support for leaders in this work and all they are doing to ensure everyone can make decisions concerning their health with privacy, dignity, respect, and support.
Montana Women Vote, a Women’s Foundation of Montana grantee, outlined the following steps if you’re looking to take immediate action:
- Pledge to vote NO on LR-131, a ballot measure coming this November that seeks to undermine safe, legal abortion in Montana. More info soon!
- Remind your state legislators to protect our rights, not endanger them. You can find out who your legislators are and how to contact them here.
- Donate to the abortion funds Indigenous Women Rising and Susan Wicklund Fund, two organizations dedicated to helping Montanans access abortion.
- Make sure your voter registration is up-to-date. You can check that you’re registered, update your address, find your county election office, and more here
Listed Below are the organizations that hosted the Bans off our Bodies rallies across Montana and the country the weekend of May 14. If you are looking to get involved or donate, begin with learning about these organizations:
- ACLU of Montana
- Blue Mountain Clinic
- Montana Human Rights Network
- Montana National Organization of Women
- Montana Women Vote
- Montanans for Choice
- Planned Parenthood Advocates of Montana
- Susan Wicklund Fund
Thank you for being a partner in this work. Together, we are stronger.
Kylie Gursky, Women’s Foundation of Montana Program Officer
Women’s Foundation of Montana Advisory Committee